Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Let's talk

What do you tell someone when she told you that her father was diagnosed with second stage of cancer? I couldn't find the words. I knew nothing I say will ease the burden of the heart. Nothing will take away the fear of what's to come. Nothing can comfort the aching heart.

I guess experience does change our perception and feelings towards certain things in life. Perhaps it taught us empathy and it makes the phrase "I know how you feel" more credible. We often don't really know how another person feels... because no two experiences are identical. They may be similar but never identical. So how can one know EXACTLY how the other person feels? Not to mention that it is rare to find two persons who feel the same intensity towards a particular issue.

Human beings are complex in nature. In some ways it made life interesting and to some extent challenging. Just relating with people takes skills (a variety of them) and yet looking back you will realise there is still plenty to learn... plenty to improve on. I am unhappy with the quality of the relationships with the people around me. I have learnt so little about them. Learnt so little about what's going on in their lives... what excites them...

Perhaps we should all take a moment to ponder the quality of the relationships we have. Were our best relationships the ones we had during our school days .. when we were able to talk endlessly about anything under the sky... or sharing our dreams over a packet of fries and they seemed to last throughout the whole afternoon. No rush... no judgement...

No comments:

Post a Comment