Thursday, May 13, 2004

Existence of Being

Have you ever stopped and greet someone Good Morning? Someone like the cleaning attendant or a fellow passenger in the elevator? Have you ever noticed the surprised look followed by a really pleasant response?

I guess it is like you have noticed their existence. I don’t know how to describe the feeling but when I see an elderly person still working, cleaning up places.. I often wonder shouldn’t they be enjoying life at this age? I do know however, they appreciated the morning greeting and they showed by responding back with such a brilliant smile and asking if you have eaten. It is indeed a typical Chinese way of asking about your well being but it definitely lightens up my day.

I vividly remembered that many years ago, I was doing Flag Selling at Raffles Place; the place that was bustling with activities and with heavy human traffic flow in the morning and evening. I went up to quite a few people, asking if they would like to donate to the particular charity organisation. I was shocked to see that so many would just walk by as though I didn’t exist, nor have I spoken. I was not expecting everyone to donate, but at least a response like shaking of head or some gesture. Instead it was a blank look on their faces as they hurried past. That experience had changed the way I feel about people and definitely towards people who sell flags as well. Now I make a point to respond to the request.

In work and in many stages of our lives, we seek recognition in some forms. At school, we want to be recognised for our efforts and hard work in the form of our results. At work, we want to be recognised for our contributions and talents. However, in all of us, there is definitely a need for recognition of our existence. Remember the movie “What Women Want” there was one lady who felt that she is non existent and people just walk through her? There are people like that in our lives. We should make a point to acknowledge their existence and all it takes is just a Good Morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment