Sunday, May 30, 2004

What's That Called Again?

Has this ever happened to you? Someone asked you a question and you knew you obviously know the answer but it seemed to be at the tip of your tongue. A friend of mine asked me the street name of this dim sum place today. I could tell her the name of the restaurant, I could even picture that place in my mind but I couldn't tell her where it is.

It is amazing how some of our minds capture information in pictorial forms and store them that way. If I meet a person once, his / her face will be stuck in my memory for a while. Should I meet the person again, I can remember the face and probably the occasion when we met, but ask me the name... it simply eludes me.

Memory is such an intriguing thing. Perhaps if there's a chance, I would like to know more about it and how it works. How it can suppress traumatic events to the conscious mind and how it still give the same intense feelings when they are being remembered again.

No comments:

Post a Comment