Monday, May 31, 2004

Imperfections

I remembered my first thrown pot. It is a small green bowl that I use to put my sauces or condiments. It is off centred and I often say that there are baby fats at various parts of the pots.

Perhaps after a few years of throwing, I may have done bigger and more beautiful bowls than that, but it remains to be the pot of most sentimental value. It reminds me of my first struggle with clay, the frustration and the lack of ability. Every step is a conscious and deliberate effort to control and manage the clay. Nowadays there is little thought in the coordination of hands, eyes and foot. It has become a skill ingrained in the mind, just like cycling.

I remembered some years back, someone asked if she could have one of my flawed pots. Interestingly, she told me that she wanted one so that it will remind her of imperfections in life and still seeing the beauty in it. I obliged. She asked me then what was the flaw of my pot. It was then I realised that in our eyes, we are often so critical of things we do. All the little flaws are magnified in our eyes and we do not see the beauty. However, it is more often than not that these flaws are overlooked by others. In their eyes, they only noticed the perfection and beauty. I guess we will just have to liven up a little and take things easy.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:19 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:19 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:19 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. apologies to Algernon... I had no intention to erase the comment.. i tried to save it and look what it turned out to be.. sigh.. :D

    ReplyDelete